Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The way I see it

My fellow bloggers , whether u are a passionate advocate for the environment or whether you couldn’t care less it is clear to me that deep down you are an environmentalist. Yes , you read correctly ..I’m referring to you. Now you may not consider yourself one , but deep down you are. Now I want you to forget about everything you’ve heard or think you know about environmentalists. Forget about the labels, the names, who you think they are and what you think you know about them. And if you have no idea of what I’m talking about , even better. Forget it all , because in the end it’s not what matters.

The way I see it we all have a little of environmentalist in us. How? Because we’ve all been in contact with nature in one way or another. Now don’t deny it, you know it’s true. Most of us live in constant contact with nature but are often too busy to notice or take it for granted and could not care less. Whatever the case may be we’ve all at some point, some day, at some moment have ‘felt’ nature. May sound cheesy , but it’s true. Think about every time you go to the ocean and you place your feet into the water and just stare into the blue immensity , think about the rush you feel through your veins every time you ‘board’ on the snow and manage to land a perfect triple loop and land correctly , think about a pretty sunsets and the feeling of freedom you get in the summer while taking walks surrounded by a cool summer breeze. Sounds too cheesy? Ok think about any time you’re having a bad day and suddenly the sun comes out, making your day a little better. Or about crazy squirrels chasing around campus in the summer time. Whatever it may be , we’ve all had a and felt a deep connection with nature at some point , even if we don’t know it. At some point nature has made our lives a little happier, a little easier , a little prettier . And that moment , that knowledge , sense of wonder and of realization even if it was short makes you an environmentalist.

The simple fact that you’re around it and you’ve felt it helped you to understand just how important nature is. Now , I’m not telling you to go chain yourselves to a tree or go to Copenhagen and protest global warming. It’s not about that . It’s about something more personal , something unique , something intimate that allows us to keep living our lives a little better everyday .

Your all environmentalists because you notice, because you enjoy it , because somewhere inside you deep down you care. Now whether you decide to do something about it or not , is up to you. As Gandhi once said : Be the change you wish to see in the world. So it is clear to me that if we want to see a change, we have to start with ourselves and with the little things . Next time you’re outside look around you , admire it , take it all in. Just by appreciating nature a little more you’re making a change.

So there’s something to think about. Stay original , look deeper , admire more.

- Elli

11 comments:

  1. use freedom to make a difference. chose your words nicely elli :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love what u wrote, very true. so i have one question what are u doing to help our environment elli dear ? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. she's devoting 4 years of university to learning how to address/solve enviro issues, I'd say that's proactive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more. Although we may fail to admit it we all take nature for granted and fail to see the beauty in what nature has given us every day. We are always in contact with nature, it has always been there for us but how much longer will it be. At this rate, until we stop taking the beauty that the world has to offer for granted, we will not be able to change our current situation environmentally or for that matter what is to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was great! good job elli <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently in New Zealand as part of my education. I arrived down here roughly two weeks before my program started and ended up flatting (living) next to a botanical gardens. I spent the better part of 4 or 5 days sitting in the gardens, taking in the beauty of the place (especially since I left a few feet of snow back in Canada). Since then, I walk around the city (which is full of parks, forests, and gardens), and tend to REALLY look at what's around me, and feel that those few days in the gardens when I arrived, seriously shaped my view of the city now. My first thought when I wake up in the morning is "what kind of a day is it?" I look out the window to see how the clouds are low-lying and look like someone has brushed cloud over the peaks of the surrounding mountains. I can tell it's going to rain all day, but I don't even care because it simply looks too beautiful. As a result, I find myself caring so much for a country I've only been in for just over a month. I show my flatmates how awesome the clouds look coming over and down the side of a mountain, to which they reply "oh" or "yeah we know" (from my showing them all the time). How can you (the capital, 'anyone' you), get people to enjoy nature for what it really is? I think if more people did, concern for the environment would legitimately (as in sincerely) skyrocket. I spent saturday evening with 4 others on the edge of a cliff watching the sun set over another cliff with the ocean between us. There was essentially an hour of complete silence as we all watched it set. None of us had to say anything, but we knew we were all thinking the same thing. Just to see that, and SERIOUSLY see it (not just a glance), was incredibly powerful and something everyone should want to do. How can we make that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspiring elli!! truly is...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elli, very true, im glad your so committed, and you truly inspire others to follow. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ure so right!! man, i love my environment. i love it so much i dont like to hit animal-themed piñatas. and im mexican, so i have a really hard time fitting in during parties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eli very interesting post! I never looked at it that way but I guess its true; there is a little environmentalist in everyone! very inspiring post and I will try and do my part in helping the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you wrote this in such a creative way Eli, it isn't just environmentalists who care for the environment, its everyone :)

    ReplyDelete