Monday, March 29, 2010

Globalization

I was going over some articles I did in first year about globalization. Plus there was a presentation done in 1200 about this IMF and its role in developing countries. And its really really depressing the things that some people have written. Also, I apologize in advance for depressing anyone. For exmaple:

" Today, despite - or arguably, sometimes because- of trade agreements, unified currencies, and strictures imposed by the World Bank and IMF (International Monetary Fund), massive debt is hobbling many nations in sub-Saharan Africa and elsewhere" Aldeson et al, 2008.

Now it might not be nothing new to most of you that countries are in debt because of these institutions and it most definately isn't new to me especially since I come from a so-called third world country. I'm from Jamaica and I can tell you it has had profound effects on my family there, especially lately. Also there's a high crime rate and a lack of social services. Due to many reasons, they have accumulated alot of debt and I'm sure because I watched this in a film called Life and Debt. Don't quote me on that but with a personal perspective, I can relate almost 100% to all the info that circulates about globalization

Accordoing to Hawken (2000), eighty-six percent of the world's goods go to the top fifth, the bottom fifth get one percent. A huge diff if you think about it. And not necessarily surprising either. This is serious business people. I'm not even joking. Theres more. Vandana Shiva (2000) says "It is time to stop and think about the impact of globalization on the lives of ordinary people" Of course!!! This says to politicians and speakers to look at the bigger picture. Stop thinking of your own asses for once! Don't be so uni-sided with choosing what to advocate. Think of the working class. The hard-earned money that a student scrounges up from his/her full-time job while studying at the same time. Be wary of who suffers from what actions. This is what I'm trying to say at the very least. So please please please politicians and whoever, hear the plea of a measly student who isn't the kind to speak out her opinion publicly.

Anyways I strongly recommend people to read about Hawken (2000) and Shiva (2000) if they ever find the time. The articles they have written are very influential and convincing. Thanks for reading

1 comment:

  1. i mean
    i feel d same esp for the financial constraints being the major problem of me not being abl to complete ma studies.

    ReplyDelete