Friday, March 26, 2010

Environmental Tips and Tricks

I know we're called hippie rants and I would most definitely like to rant all the time. But to me, its not a good area of self reflexivity, and I'm sure all you 1200 students out there know what I mean. So I thought I would compile like a little list of lifestyle changes that I personally like to take seriously because duh I'm in environmental studies. Of course I care for the environment. Also one of the people in the Weaving the Web gave me a brochure about recycling and the three R's (reduce, reuse and recycle) so that inspired me too. So here's what I like to do on a day-to-day basis and maybe it can be inspiring or maybe it's things you already do or maybe you'll take them up yourself. At least that's what I hope you will do.

So.

Don't throw away your plastic bags. The ones you get from wally mart, or no frills, loblaws, food basics. WHEREVER. um Payless or Whole Foods if you live in the states. Supermarkets in JA. sorry I digress. But keep them, resuse these bags, bring one of them on you wherever you go. You could find use if someone is in an emergency. I know I travel alot and often times I know someone who's easily car/plane sick. Never know. It could come in handy somehow at some point, and plus it's a less likely chance it will end up in a landfill right?

Turn off the light when you don't use it. Especially when you leave the apartment or the room for the time being and you aren't using it. Or even if it's day and there's adequate light already that lights are inappropriate. I find that this is like the easiest thing one can do to help our environment. Plus it saves on your light bill too. That's always a plus. More buck for your pocket hehe.

Try to take paper you can write on and keep it. Don't throw it away. Use it for writing down notes or something. Keep it and cut it up so you can write memos on it. There's still use for it especially for those students who use paper all the time and sometimes find it hard to locate a scrap of paper for some random reason.

Personally I don't do this cause I never got around to do it, but I used to. Use a cup when you brush your teeth for rinsing. It uses less water. Saves you money. Saves the environment. What more could you want?

Well that's it :) Thanks for reading

5 comments:

  1. Hey Kitty you make some great points there. I actually only do one thing on that lis; keep plastic bags. I have a cupboard dedicated to stuffing plastic bags in. The only problem is that, eventually one day or another, the plastic bag will end up in the trash. When I die, hopefully not soon, someone else will find them and throw them out. The problem is in production. Once that bag or that plastic thing is made, it will need to be disposed of somewhere down the road. Did you know that the technology was available to create eco friendly bio bags like 100 friggen years ago!!! What the fuxx! I But plastic bags are useful to some especially boogwans. Haha I am actually going to try to use a cup of water to brush my teeth tonight. What an excellent idea. So small, but so effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha. What're boogwans if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, which treehugger are you?!!! Patrick usually leaves his name at the end and no one else usually comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha yes Kitty it is me, Patrick. I have a feeling that now 1200 is over, everybody gave up on this blog. Were the only ones still on here!! Ohh boogwans are really ugly people, lol.

    ReplyDelete