Friday, February 26, 2010

Introvert vs Extrovert Environmentalism



The term 'environmentalists' has negative effects on society. As all you know, I ask my mother about everything (mommas boy) so I asked her what she thought of them. She stated, "i'm an environmentalist, but I do it in my own way." She said, " I don't protest or make everyone know how much I love it, I just respect and enjoy nature personally." She is an introverted person. So how would you label her? Could you find a term that fits under that? I couldn't.......so lets make one up......ummmm how about environpersonalist! What i'm trying to say is that society places groups of people in 'boxes.' Because she doesn't speak out, does that mean she's an anti environmentalist? Do you have to speak out to be one? NO. There are groups out there who do speak out. There are people out there who do speak up from all kinds of races and sexes. However, I feel the term environmentalist coined by society, enforces just that. You need to be loud, proud and productive to be one. It just makes the public look at them and go "you're a freak" and only separates the loud ones from the quite ones. Society should adopt that it is the 'environment' were dealing with, not the juicy gossip of the group itself. Again, these groups are started by personal choices and not everyone had to be labeled under the same term.

Patrick

3 comments:

  1. I'm an...environpersonalist lol. I care about the environment, and I take care to reuse as many recyclables as possible, such as tin cans for pans, empty cereal boxes as magazine holders and empty egg carton for planting seeds, but I don't speak out. Well not to anyone outside of my family. I have tried, and I have noticed they do give you dirty looks, etc. And I do agree with one of the other posts about everyone being an environmentalist at one point.

    Ashley T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized that I sounds like someone who can only recycle materials. I also meant other things like running water and electricity and picking up garbage here and there. I enjoy the outdoors and would hate to see it disappear

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my vocab isn't up to par with Patrick's so I had to look up the meaning of extrovert vs introvert. So according to dictionary.com, introvert means: Psychology. a person characterized by concern primarily with his or her own thoughts and feelings (opposed to extrovert). I personally think your example is a good analogy to others. Theres lots of people who are like that, even I could be put in that group. Not everyone is necessarily confident in expressing their values, and voicing their concerns on a public level. So it isn't just your mom. I think theres like a tension in people to simply talk about anything. There is this fear that you will be criticized or ridiculed. Even if it isn't to your face. This is important when environmentalists or more influential people like activists are being studied. Because its a matter of individual exceptions I think. Not everyone is exactly alike.

    ReplyDelete